It’s been a while since I posted a recipe, so I figured I’d type out the one for one of my favourite savory dishes: Ratatouille! It’s a really easy dish, all you have to do is slice, arrange and stick it all in the oven!
- An eggplant/aubergine
- A zucchini
- A tomato
- An onion
- A red pepper
- One garlic clove
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170º celsius (about 340º Farenheit).
- Slice the eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion and pepper into thin slices, as close in size to each other as possible.
- Cut the garlic into little pieces
- Grease the tray or baking sheet you’ll be using with oil.
- Place the slices in the tray in this order, so that all the vegetables will be thoroughly cooked:
- Lay the onion on the bottom, then the tomato and then the pepper.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and give them a hefty sprinkle of thyme, oregano, salt and pepper (to taste). Add some of the garlic.
- Add the eggplant/aubergine slices and, finally, the zucchini slices.
- Once again, drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and give them a hefty sprinkle of thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the rest of the garlic.
- Put the tray in the oven 30 to 45 minutes (keep an eye on it, as the time needed for it to cook will always vary).
- Take the tray out of the oven and carefully place the slices however you want them to be when serving. Add a bit more oil, salt and pepper on top.If you wish, you can add more oregano and thyme as well, but then put a little less between layers so the flavour isn’t too strong.
And voilà! Simple as that. You can also add a bay leaf for flavour during the cooking process, as well as other spices you might enjoy, such as marjoram, instead of oregano and/or thyme.